College is and will be quite demanding during the next few weeks as I will be writing several essays in history, politics and English all of which will be due some time sooner or later in March. But let me for now indulge a bit longer in reminiscences of the last few weeks and fill you in on my most recent travels …
Sarah, a friend of mine who’s currently studying in Nottingham, visited me last weekend. We rent a car and explored the Irish south-western coast on what would turn out to be a fantastic road trip. Both the stunning Healy Pass on rugged Beara Peninsula in West Cork and the beautiful scenery along the Ring of Kerry deeply impressed and time and again prompted us to pull over, leave the car by the roadside (virtually deserted at this time of the year) and take in the magnificent landscape. Over the entire weekend, not a single raindrop was falling, and the morning sun in a clear blue sky was the first we saw when we woke up in the town of Kenmare on early Sunday morning and set off for the second day of our trip. Wonderful weekend. Should you be interested in any of my photos (and I uploaded quite a few tonight), I’d suggest you take a look at the Beara Peninsula & Ring of Kerry album.
.jpg)
.jpg)
When Sarah left on Monday, I had just enough time to prepare for my next visitors: my parents came over just for two days in order to catch a glimpse of the Irish capital where their eldest son is having so much fun these days. Given the limited space for sightseeing, we were accordingly busy on Wednesday, learning how the “black gold” is brewed in the Guinness Storehouse and what the 1916 Easter Rising was all about in the famous Kilmainham Jail, just around the corner from where I had lived until a few days earlier.
.jpg)
I say "lived" (and not live) because I eventually moved into my new room last week. Although I got along very well and had a good time with my former flatmates Anthony and Julien, I’m glad about this step as I’m much closer to college now, have more space, a double bed and even my own sink in the room, and enjoy Jojo’s company, who has become a good friend over the last few months. Anxious not to use the German language all the time, we decided to constantly speak English, which at first may have been a little strange but has worked out surprisingly well so far. My new address is
1 Richmond Row
Portobello, Dublin 8
Ireland
and letters, postcards as well as visitors are very welcome!
Further highlights in the last few weeks included very enjoyable trips to Glendalough in County Wickow with Lorna and her friends as well as to the lovely town of Kilkenny with the International Students Society. Again, feel free to check out the photos if you’re inclined.
.jpg)
.jpg)
In college, the Students Union is organising one themed week after the other: GREEN week, featuring various events revolving around the environment and climate change, was followed by SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness & Guidance) week, complete with free condoms and information on safer sex. Frankly, I find all this a little ridiculous, however, there seems to be great demand for such kind of information as becomes apparent from the numerous pro-condom advertisments in the toilets. With my own stock of condoms refilled, I am currently observing the election campaigns of the different candidates running for Student Union officers, although only half-heartedly as I don’t really care who will be holding thoses offices during the next academic year when I’ll be back home.
Speaking of the time of my return to Germany, an interesting summer job opportunity has materialised which is currently tempting me to prolong my stay in Ireland: working as a tour guide for German tourists during the summer months, after finishing my studies in Trinity and before leaving for New York. Provided that I accept the offer, I will participate in some training sessions in April and even accompany a week-long guided tour through the country in order to prepare for the job. Shipping curious tourists around the country will at the same time be intellectually demanding and physically exhausting, however, the training will enhance greatly my knowledge of Ireland, and the job promises to earn me the money I’ll desperately need in New York. I shall make up my mind within the next few days.
I suppose that’s it for today. In spite of my essays, I’m looking forward to my brother’s visit in early March and the festivities around St. Patrick’s Day afterwards. I’ll be spending a single weekend in Germany, from April 3rd to April 7th and hope to see some of you then.
Have a nice Sunday,
Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment