This goes out to all those who're afraid of the weather in Ireland. Today, like actually most days recently, was terrific, with only few small white clouds in the sky, long stretches of beautiful sunshine and mild temperatures. Spring finally seems to have arrived and palpably changes people's moods. Dubliners flock to the streets. There is cheerful chatter everywhere, and ice cream, sunglasses and Latte Macciatos. I came back myself from St. Stephen's Green an hour ago, where I had enjoyed the sun and the last 50 pages of Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children. (An nice read, for that matter.) In terms of literature, my next "project" will be Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace which, in the light of my speed at the moment, should keep me busy for a few months. But I'm getting off the track ...
Thus back to Dublin where I've been trying to catch up on a few sights that I haven't had a chance to visit so far. Such as the famous Chester Beatty Library (see below) which boasts an impressive collection of ancient religious manuscripts from the Qu'uran, the Bible and the Torah, texts and other exhibits from Hinduism and Buddhism, and much more.
.jpg)
The Library is housed on the premises of Dublin Castle, the seat of the former Irish viceroys, which I happened to visit today. The site from which the English Crown was for centuries ruling Ireland had seen a military fortress as early as during the Viking and subsequent Norman conquests. Just as an aside, did you know where Earl Grey tea got its name from? Take a close look at the inscription beneath the portrait below, which also shows one of those Irish viceroys, and you'll know.
.jpg)
Last Saturday saw my second training for the summer job. Susanne, an experienced German tour guide, took us "trainees" around the city centre and later south to the Wicklow Mountains. Everyone of us got the chance to practise with the microphone on the bus. On the way back we had a short visit to the Powerscourt Estate, particularly the magnificent Gardens, which give an idea of 18th century Anglo-Irish aristocracy. Funnily enough the Wingfield family who lived there maintained a "pet cemetery" with actual gravestones and rather curious epitaphs. But see for yourselves below ...
.jpg)
.jpg)
As regards the tour guide job I am getting really excited about it, and a bit nervous, too. Not that I have any doubts about my ability to show German tourists around the country. Far from it. Yet there's quite a lot prepare before my first tour will set off on May 30th: Irish and Dublin history, sights, culture, language, economic and political facts, anecdotes ... after all, I'd like to make a good and competent impression when I welcome my first group in a bit more than a month. As I hoped before, however, I'm in fact learning very much about this country through my daily preparations. Fortunately I'll only have to sit one single exam in four weeks and therefore have plenty of time to get ready and, as I said earlier, further explore Dublin for myself. (Speaking of inside tips, check out the Queen of Tarts on Dame Street should you ever make it to Dublin. The name speaks for itself: it's a tiny bistro/café that serves home-made tarts in all different guises and flavours. Today, for example, I had tomatoes, goat cheese and herbs. Simply delicious!)
.jpg)
Meanwhile I've booked my flights for the summer. After 10 months my Dublin/Ireland adventure will finally come to an end on July 7th. After relaxing a bit at home I shall pack again and head off to New York four days later, on July 11th, where I'll be staying roughly eight weeks until September 3rd. This summer promises simulataneously to be demanding and busy, entertaining and exciting. I can't wait.
Thus back to Dublin where I've been trying to catch up on a few sights that I haven't had a chance to visit so far. Such as the famous Chester Beatty Library (see below) which boasts an impressive collection of ancient religious manuscripts from the Qu'uran, the Bible and the Torah, texts and other exhibits from Hinduism and Buddhism, and much more.
.jpg)
The Library is housed on the premises of Dublin Castle, the seat of the former Irish viceroys, which I happened to visit today. The site from which the English Crown was for centuries ruling Ireland had seen a military fortress as early as during the Viking and subsequent Norman conquests. Just as an aside, did you know where Earl Grey tea got its name from? Take a close look at the inscription beneath the portrait below, which also shows one of those Irish viceroys, and you'll know.
.jpg)
Last Saturday saw my second training for the summer job. Susanne, an experienced German tour guide, took us "trainees" around the city centre and later south to the Wicklow Mountains. Everyone of us got the chance to practise with the microphone on the bus. On the way back we had a short visit to the Powerscourt Estate, particularly the magnificent Gardens, which give an idea of 18th century Anglo-Irish aristocracy. Funnily enough the Wingfield family who lived there maintained a "pet cemetery" with actual gravestones and rather curious epitaphs. But see for yourselves below ...
.jpg)
.jpg)
As regards the tour guide job I am getting really excited about it, and a bit nervous, too. Not that I have any doubts about my ability to show German tourists around the country. Far from it. Yet there's quite a lot prepare before my first tour will set off on May 30th: Irish and Dublin history, sights, culture, language, economic and political facts, anecdotes ... after all, I'd like to make a good and competent impression when I welcome my first group in a bit more than a month. As I hoped before, however, I'm in fact learning very much about this country through my daily preparations. Fortunately I'll only have to sit one single exam in four weeks and therefore have plenty of time to get ready and, as I said earlier, further explore Dublin for myself. (Speaking of inside tips, check out the Queen of Tarts on Dame Street should you ever make it to Dublin. The name speaks for itself: it's a tiny bistro/café that serves home-made tarts in all different guises and flavours. Today, for example, I had tomatoes, goat cheese and herbs. Simply delicious!)
.jpg)
Meanwhile I've booked my flights for the summer. After 10 months my Dublin/Ireland adventure will finally come to an end on July 7th. After relaxing a bit at home I shall pack again and head off to New York four days later, on July 11th, where I'll be staying roughly eight weeks until September 3rd. This summer promises simulataneously to be demanding and busy, entertaining and exciting. I can't wait.
As always I've added to my Dublin album and also uploaded some pictures of Powerscourt Gardens, if you're inclined to take a look.
Otherwise I hope you're also having such lovely weather, wherever you are.
Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment